Monday 18 April 2011

Bad news here

You know that they say always read the label, well I didn't.


I had bought some surgical spirit to clean a few things and as I had told the chemist what I needed it for I thought no more about it. I brought it home and put it away until I needed it, as you do.


Yesterday I decided to clean the camera as there were some marks on the pictures that showed up on my moon shots. Out came the the bottle and I got the marks off and it looked ok, a few test shots at the sky and white background seemed to confirm this.


Last night I took some 15 shots of a rill on the moon using a contrast filter. I then went to process them only to find that they had marks (looked like water marks) all over them. Now reading the label I find that the surgical spirit contains caster oil. I was lucky that I had so lens cleaner (use for my glasses). I had been told not to use this on the telescope which is why I use the surgical spirit.


This cleaner made a really good job on clearing the Chip and it seems I got away with it.


So, always read the label 

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm ..... glad it was okay in the end Trev ...it could have been expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right as they charge lots to do it in the shop (:-(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks You for your comment